The swimmer 1968 online dating Chat adult no signup no registration no email
Since Amersfoort was the largest garrison town in the Netherlands before the outbreak of the Second World War, with eight barracks, and part of the main line of defence, the whole population of then 43,000 was evacuated ahead of the expected invasion by the Germans in May 1940.
After four days of battle, the population was allowed to return.
Apart from the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwetoren, the Koppelpoort, and the Muurhuizen (Wall-houses), there is also the Sint-Joriskerk (Saint George's church), the canal-system with its bridges, as well as medieval and other old buildings; many are designated as national monuments.
In the Middle Ages, Amersfoort was an important centre for the textile industry, and there were a large number of breweries.
It is now the reference point of the RD coordinate system, the coordinate grid used by the Dutch topographical service: the RD coordinates are (155.000, 463.000).
Hunter gatherers set up camps in the Amersfoort region in the Mesolithic period.
There was a functioning Jewish community in the town, at the beginning of the war numbering about 700 people.
Half of them were deported and killed, mainly in Auschwitz and Sobibor.
The construction of the tower and the church was started in 1444.
The church was destroyed by an explosion in 1787, but the tower survived, and the layout of the church still can be discerned today through the use of different types of stone in the pavement of the open space that was created.
A first defensive wall, made out of brick, was finished around 1300.